Sometimes I think kale is way overrated. However this salad has changed my mind...
Kale Salad with Ginger Honey Vinaigrette
- 1 bunch Tuscan (lacinato) kale, washed, dried, ribs removed
- 1 1/4 cups wild rice or long-grain brown rice, cooked
- 1 apple, peeled, cored, finely diced
- 1/4 cup pine nuts ,toasted
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1 - inch piece fresh ginger, peeled
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
For the Dressing: Peel the ginger and grate it on a microplane into a medium bowl. Grate the garlic the same way into the bowl. Whisk in the vinegar, maple syrup, salt, and pepper to taste. Slowly whisk in the olive oil to emulsify.
For the Salad: Stack a few kale leaves and roll them like a cigar, then thinly slice them crosswise into ribbons. Place in a large bowl. Add the wild rice and apple and toss to combine. Pour the dressing over the kale and toss to combine. . Let the salad sit for 10 minutes, then sprinkle with the nuts and pomegranate seeds and serve.
Tip: To toast the pine nuts, place them in a dry skillet over medium-low heat until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes. Remove and allow to cool.