I friend of mine asked if I had any ideas on what to do with old wine bottles, here are I few of my favorite ideas that I came across...
1. Of course there is the obvious. Old wine bottles make great vases for long stem flowers. If you have access to a glass cutter, you can get a little more creative with the angles, like these vases.
East to follow instructions on how to do this can be found at: http://green.thefuntimesguide.com/2009/12/diy_wine_bottle_vases.php 2. Make some really good home-made salad dressing. Thoroughly clean out a wine bottle and pour it in the bottle. It makes for a really nice decanter for your dressing . You can also give them away as gifts.
3. Fill old bottles with hand soap, dishwashing liquid, or bath bubbles. Then attach a pump to the top of the bottle. The pumps can be found at most hardware stores. It is much prettier than the plastic bottles sitting on the sink.
4. I thought these Tiki torches looked pretty cool. Instructions for this project are at the following site: http://green.thefuntimesguide.com/2009/08/wine_bottle_diy_ideas.php
5. You can paint wine bottles with glass paint and get a creative as you want.
6. Some wine bottles have interesting and beautiful shapes. To make them look a little more modern, I would group 3 bottles together that are different shapes and sizes and paint them all the same color. You always want to group similar items in odd numbers. Here are two examples:
7. If you are feeling really industrious, you can build your own wine bottle chandelier. This one from Pottery Barn cost over $400!!!
You can make your own for much less. Here are step by step instructions to make this similar one: http://www.oregonlive.com/hg/index.ssf/2008/06/_i_chose_to_use.html